Tuesday, May 31, 2011

To Sir With Love: Memoirs of a Teacher..

If you ask me which is tougher, public speaking or being a teacher, I would say the latter. Though public speaking can make you vulnerable and more dependent on the audience that you get, being a teacher has an additional responsibility. You have the responsibility to make an effect on the lives of kids you deal with. It is okay if you make an audience sleep. But it is a crime if you make your students do it. 

If you had learned in high school in Kerala during my time, you may remember this English chapter about a black teacher  getting an assignment to teach a class of undisciplined kids and how he makes them come his way. Well, it was a portion from this autobiographical novel named, To Sir With Love by E R Braithwaite and I happened to read it last weekend. I think that, if you are a teacher, or if you want to be one, this book can be a manual for you. No pedagogy or teaching techniques can help you make that positive change in kids, unless the basic, your principles, are right. 

Braithwaite comes to England after a stint in army, to find a job. His color makes him wait for 18 months without a job and then he lands up to teach in a notorious school. The novel deals with how he singlehandedly influences the life of kids assigned to him. At first he uses the standard approaches of psychology without success, and then he starts  treating them as how they are and slowly breaks the ice. 

The book deals with the subtle racism prevalent in every cultured society, where people behave as if they are Martin Luther King personified, but changes color when they have to accept an outsider among them. It seems that the book is made into a movie with Sidney Poitier in lead. Should be a must watch movie...

9 comments:

  1. hey, i like your blogs. shall blog roll you.

    yes, it's been made into a movie - sydney poitier at his best. i saw it first some 25 yrs back & loved it. i saw it last 5 years back after 20 odd yrs as a teacher. it was evven better. yes, the golden rule for a teacher is accept the students and respect them for what they are

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie .. its a beautiful movie ...

    i started my career as a teacher for a few years ... and you respect you get respect simple rul treat others as you would want to be treated yourself ...

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good movie. I agree teaching is harder than public speaking. No comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen the movie too. It is a must see. I was a teacher for three years. And that did come as a surprise to many, as I was never good at public speaking and I hardly spoke at all. But when I faced a bunch of 9th graders for my first and last demo class, it was a piece of cake. :) Loved the teaching part of the job. Everything else about that job, is better not commented on. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. To sir with love.. How can I forget it.. beautiful and lovely , just like the theme of your post. Nice read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The movie is a classic...and teaching is tougher. One needs a lot of patience and understanding along with the knowledge of the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes I remember studying that chapter. Even I rmbr some of the characters like Pamela dare, Potter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @all: Thanks for dropping in.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the book last year and sometimes I wish to read it again!!!

    the book is awesome....its worth reading and its a must read!!!

    ReplyDelete