Plagiarism was always existing in hindi movie industry. Even the biggest hit of hindi - Sholey, was inspired by many westerns like Magnificient Seven and For a few Dollars more. Or Zanjeer was inspired by Dirty Harry. But these days it is rampant to such an extent that when any good movie is released people are on the lookout of its original. Like Bheja Fry or Acid Factory which where lifted from some sources so difficult to trace that it may be a surprise to the makers that it was eventually unveiled. Here I am trying to put forward 5 Hindi movies that are inspired by Hollywood movies and made a mess out of them, the worst rip offs that I have watched. Opinions are mine alone and any difference of opinion is welcome to be expressed.
- Kaante from Reservoir Dogs: Sanjay Gupta's Kaantey was a decent effort, I agree. You may even like it if you have not watched the original. The direction was good and performance was top notch by Bachchan and gang. But when compared to the shrewd brilliance of Reservoir Dogs, it is a wasted efforts. It stands dimetrically opposite to the film making style of reservoir Dogs.
- Daddy Cool from Death at a Funeral: Death at a funeral is a British Black comedy that is sharp and tickles the right bones heavily. It is crude and non apologetic, still very enjoyable. Its Indian version Daddy Cool by InderKumar is crude and thats all...
- Padmasri Laloo Prasad Yadav from A fish Called Wanda: Such a great comedy converted to a silly buffoonery exercise of 3 hours. A test on patience.
- Choclate from The Usual Suspects: Mother of all Rip offs. So bad.
- Road from Hitchhiker 2: Copying is bad, copying from a b- movie is superbad, what to call copying from the second part of a b-movie?
I considered adding Ghajini from Momento to the list but then felt that it is not a total rip off, only some concept was stolen and the makers have put in good effort on script and plot. So decided against it.
Case of a bad hollywood movie copied and made watchable :
- Musafir from U-turn: U turn was a sick and depressing movie with Sean Penn and Jen Lopez, but Sanjay Gupta ripped it to make Musafir, which was not a great movie, but a watchable one when compared to original.